Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Love song to a cactus

Ambriel is currently singing to her new cactus plant with musical accompaniment on a recorder. We got the cactus in the hopes that it would be a house plant we couldn't kill, even with the limited sunlight and attention spans we can offer in our apartment. And because it is pink and green. We transplanted it into a bigger (pink) pot this afternoon, and, since I wouldn't let Ambriel do much of the dirty work, she decided she needed to do something to ensure the plant's health and prosperity.

Ambriel: (singing) "Oh, I love you cactus! You're so beautiful! You are pink, my favorite color, and green, my momma's favorite color!" (Non-note blowing on the recorder for several bars) "And here's my hamster, my new toy hamster! She loves you, too. So do I, even though you're not a toy and Momma says I shouldn't touch you, since you have prickers!" (More noise from the recorder)

There were about ten more verses to the song, but they were all pretty much the same.

She keeps reaching out to touch the top when she thinks I'm not looking. I'm afraid I have a regular Sleeping Beauty and spinning wheels kind of fascination on my hands. Perhaps we should have just killed another potted daisy...

3 comments:

  1. If this one doesn't make it, try a christmas cactus. I have a regular black thumb when it comes to plants, but I've had my christmas cactus for about 3 years now. It stays pretty small and on the plus side, no prickers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I love this. Hope the plant does well! Looks like it has plenty of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. (By "this," I mean the cactus story, but also the whole blog, which I've been loving since you started publicizing it on Facbeook.)

    The url for my name, by the way, is for Cheryl's blog with the kid photos, not mine. Not my blog, I mean. I'm sure the kids are mine. Anyways.

    ReplyDelete